Thanks to support from the Corporation for National and Community Service, NAHT is thrilled to embark on our new Safe and Healthy Homes VISTA Project!
The Safe and Healthy Homes Project will provide capacity building support to low income tenants in all forms of privately owned, federally-assisted housing developments, to:
- Increase tenant capacity to preserve affordable housing;
- Improve health and safety outcomes in their communities;
- Increase resident awareness of their rights and responsibilities; and
- Adjust and recover from the COVID-19 related challenges of health, safety and affordability in their communities.
The Safe and Healthy Homes Project will place a total of 15 VISTA Tenant Organizers at 12 local tenants' rights organizations across the country. VISTA Organizers will work with tenants living in HUD multifamily housing in their community to form strong tenant associations, determine and elevate community demands, and negotiate with property owners and other power holders to get their demands met.
Safe and Healthy Homes Host Sites
- Arkansas Community Initiative: Little Rock, AR
- Durham CAN: Durham, NC
- Esperanza: San Antonio, TX
- Friends of Parkside: Detroit, MI
- Granite State Organizing Project: Nashua, NH
- Greater Syracuse Tenants Network: Syracuse, NY
- Long Beach Residents Empowered (LiBRE): Long Beach, CA
- Mass. Alliance of HUD Tenants: Boston, MA
- Massachusetts Union of Public Housing Tenants:Boston, MA
- Metropolitan Tenants Organization: Chicago, IL
- Newark HUD Tenants Coalition: Newark, NJ
- NYS Tenants and Neighbors: New York City, NY
Showing 1 reaction
Sign in with